Tuesday, March 31, 2009

9 Lessons For A Rockstar



These past few days I’ve been taught some good lessons.
How to be a rock star.
A different kind of rock star.


You don’t have to get it, you just have to read it.



The first of all, I have to stay Humble.
A lot of my mirrors slap me really hard on this issue.
I need to learn to see beyond the façade.
I have to stop putting people in boxes, the I-Like box and the I-Dislike box.
Who am I to say that I am better than anyone else?
Everything I have in me, is given. Given by grace. Given because of grace.
Yes I did afford it. Yes I did earn it. Yes I did put my own effort to have it.
But yes I am given the grace to achieve it.
I might not have to like everyone, but I have to love everyone.



The second of all, I have to Add Value. I have to Give Influence.
The good one. In other words, I have to set an example.
I have to be the first one to start.



Let’s continue to the third lesson, I have to master the art of Acceptance.
I have this thought that everyone has to meet my expectation.
My requirement.
My criteria.
Do you read it? The word ‘My’ is somehow dangerous.
I am not perfect enough to push people to be what I want, to meet My standard.



Then this leads me to the fourth lesson.
Grace and Forgiveness.
This is the stage where I have to expand, stretch-out my capacity.
My heart.
When people don’t meet my expectation, I have to forgive them.
I should manage not to get bitter.
I should be able to give people some space to make mistakes. After all, life is about learning process, right?
It’s school time all the time. What’s the point of learning if you’re afraid to make mistake?
The lesser you make mistake is the better you are, but that doesn’t mean that making mistake is avoidable.



The fifth lesson, I have to be Honest.
Making mistakes is ok. But that doesn’t stop there. I have to be honest.
Honest to whom? To me. And to others.
My journey will never be perfect.
There will be times when I possibly gonna fail.
But I can’t stop my journey. I can’t quit just like that.
I have to be able to admit my mistakes. To admit that I have something that needs to be fixed.
To go for a help. To ask for a help. To cry out and admit, yes I am hurt.



The sixth of all, Responsibility.
I have to be able to be responsible on handling and managing any consequences I have from the decisions I made.



That leads me to the seventh lesson, Willing to Upgrade.
We can only make the right decision when we have the right information.
And how to get the right information?
By asking. By learning. By counseling.
The people I influence can only learn as far as my willingness to continually and consistently upgrading my knowledge.



The eight lesson, is Being Tough.
When I fail, do I just stop.
When I got stumbled, do I have to cry and complain?
No. I have to be tough.
I have to learn how to fall, it hurts, and I still also have to hear people mocking me, slapping my face.
Yet I have to fight to rise again. It’s hard, but it’s possible to do.



The last one, is Sacrifice.
I am here right now because a person has sacrificed His life to me.
This is the hardest part of all.
As human, we all have the tendency to be selfish.
Selfishness just feels so good. Feels so right.
But it is NOT right.
Selflessness is better.
I have to be able to put others above Me.
I have to be able to say less of Me, and say more of Us, or We, or You, or even just Them.
Because when I do that, actually what I am saying is, it is not ME, but it is YOU.
It is about YOU who lives in ME. So let me work for YOU to reach THEM.



Well, being a Rock Star is not just a matter of saying, “Yes I want.”
But there’s something bigger beyond it.
It’s about answering this question, “How much do you willing to change after you say ‘Yes, I want’”.
“How much do you willing to be shaped after you say ‘Yes, I want’”.
“How much do you willing to learn after you say ‘Yes, I want’”.



Do you REALLY want it? Or do you JUST want it?
Because just saying Yes is not an achievement.
It’s a start. A start of a new journey.



We’re all a Rock Star.





“God doesn’t just promote us. He qualifies us for promotion.” – Myles Munroe.





Ps: Thanks for all my Rockin’ teachers, wuffyall!

No comments:

Post a Comment